2022 ART FAIRS
At this year’s NADA fair in Miami, Raster shows works of Emilia Kina, Janek Simon and Paulina Stasik.
WARSAW GALLERY WEEKEND 2022
Does a painting conceal more than it reveals? Emilia Kina examines the nature of paintings, the illusion imbedded in them, but also their physical construction. „Le soir qui tombe” is the title of a painting by the Belgian surrealist René Magritte, which has now inspired Kina to create a multi-phase painterly narrative.
Emilia Kina focuses on the margins of depiction, of what is merely a frame for the proper view, what hides it or merely appears. Her relief compositions, painting/screens captivating in their material beauty, divert attention from the digital inflation of images and messages.
Born in 1990.
2010-2015 studied at the Faculty of Painting at the Academy of Fine Arts in Kraków.
Working primarily in painting and photography.
Lives and works in Kraków.
Emilia Kina’s paintings combine erudition and aesthetic appeal. Their sources are in lie in the theory of painting and depiction, but the essence lies in the relations between painting/image and painting/object. Kina’s paintings call to mind screens, curtains and blinds, which like a room divider conceal the view. The figure of the painting as an open window is treated here literally as a material frame, more an element of stage design than a frame from reality.
– Le soir qui tombe, Raster Gallery, Warszawa, PL
– The Eyelid, East Contemporary Gallery, Milan, IT
– Clearance, Gallery Grey House, Kraków, PL
– Screen, Raster Gallery, Warszawa, PL
– Peekaboo, Henryk Gallery, Kraków, PL
SELECTED GROUP EXHIBITIONS:
– In These Days of Tumult, Heat and Dazzle I Retreat In My Mind, Stefan Gierowski Foundation, Warszawa, PL
– Soft Matters, Raster Gallery, Warszawa, PL
– Wabi-Sabi, Kristin Hjellegjerde Gallery, London, UK
– Enlivening, Pilipczuk Gallery, Copenhagen, DNK
– Innocent Eyes, Weak Arm, Šopa Gallery, Kosice, SK
– Dwelling, Gallery Grey House, Kraków, PL
– Young Polish Painting, The National Museum, Gdańsk, PL
– Changing Views, Kunst im Hafen, Düsseldorf, DE
– Primal Fantasies, BWA Contemporary Art Gallery, Katowice, PL
– Mirage Travel, Wozownia Art Gallery, Toruń, PL
– Déjà vu, Henryk Gallery, Kraków, PL
– Lord’s Favour Is No Inheritance, Henryk Gallery, Kraków, PL
– Triangle, SITTart, Kulturforum Alte Post Neuss, Düsseldorf, DE
– Pre-Lock-Up Stage, Gdańsk City Gallery, Gdańsk, PL
– Song and Dance Ensemble Henryk, Henryk Gallery, Kraków, PL
– Artists from Kraków. Generation 1980-1990, MOCAK Museum of Contemporary Art in Kraków, PL