“Slippery” at Raster is Karolina Jabłońska’s first individual show in Warsaw. In her paintings girls wear rings and guys wear watches, but the stereotypical logic of dominance is reversed. The heroines here are idols, soothsayers and thieves, and relationships and passions explode as violently as they end, in emotion. Here exaggeration and hyperbole are the rule for both composition and life.
Hellish Road, Earthworms, The Nightmare, Strangling, Snake & Tit—we are showing these and other works painted in recent months, weeks and days in an exhibition of three young artists working in the Kraków district of Zabłocie. The “potency” from the title is the name of the small gallery they founded together and have operated for the last couple of years, but also an expression of a ravenous appetite: for unfeigned emotions, for painting every day and grabbing pictures by the throat. A Warsaw premiere of the most promising painting formation to rise up in recent years.
1991 born in Niedomice
2010-2015 studies at the Painting Department at the Academy of Fine Arts in Krakow
2014-2015 scholarship at Vysoká škola uměleckoprůmyslová, Praha
2018 artist in residence, Spinnerei Leipzig
Co-founder of artist-run-space Potencja Gallery and "Łałok" magazine.
Lives and works in Krakow.
Karolina Jabłońska’s painting combines the artistic licence of art brut and a neo-expressionist aura with the confessional power of modernists and feminists. The characteristic colour range of the paintings accentuates their dark eroticism. Jabłońska’s works burst with scenes of exaggerated sensitivity, ecstatic violence, and disturbing hallucinations. A lyrical subject appearing in many of the paintings is a young girl with unnaturally large, brown eyes—the artist’s alter ego. This rescaling is nearly obsessive, concealing both terror and defiant curiosity. Jabłońska’s heroines are girls from the disco, thieves, goddesses and fortune-tellers, and the connections and emotions both emerge and end violently—in passion. Here exaggeration and hyperbole are principles of both composition and life. The sweet sultriness of her painting draws energy from the literary motifs traced by the artist and from a direct response to a testosterone-driven reality. Her paintings are accompanied by works on paper, spray-painted using stencils.
WORKS IN COLLECTIONS
- The National Museum in Gdansk, PL
- ING Polish Art Foundation, Warszawa, PL
- No Man Is Big Enough for My Arms, Works on Paper Gallery, Vienna, A
- Slippery, Raster, Warsaw, PL
- Dziewczyna czy tygrys, Municipal Art Center, Gorzów Wielkopolski, PL
- Human thing, Grey House, Cracow, PL
- Nowa para oczu (A new pair of eyes), Potencja Gallery, Cracow, PL
- Maronka, BWA Tarnow, PL
SELECTED GROUP EXHIBITIONS
- Self Portraiture: The Artist as Muse, SCAD Savannah, USA
- Soundcheck (Potencja), Rondo Sztuki, Katowice, PL
- Paint, also known as blood, Museum of Modern Art, Warsaw, PL
- Funny Games, Gussglashalle, Berlin, DE
- New Perspectives: Leipzig meets Cracow, Spinnerei archiv massiv, Leipzig, DE
- Komunikacja ze wszystkim, co jest (Communication with everything that exists), Stefan Gierowski Foundation, Warsaw, PL
- Deal, Potencja Gallery / Warsaw Gallery Weekend, Warsaw, PL
- Ozimina (Winter crops), Widna Gallery, Cracow, PL
- Lifehack, Jedna Dva Tři Gallery, Prague, CZ
- 43. Biennale Malarstwa Bielska Jesień, Galeria Bielska BWA, Bielsko-Biała, PL
- Szwung, Schwarz Contemporary, Berlin, DE
- No problem, Potencja Gallery, Cracow, PL
- „XY” New Generation Polish-Hungarian Painting, MODEM Center for Modern and Contemporary Arts, Debrecen, HU
- Seans (Seance), Szara Gallery, Katowice, PL
- Potency, Raster, Warsaw, PL
- Interstelaż, Potencja Gallery, Cracow, PL
- 12. Konkurs Gepperta, BWA Awangarda Gallery, Wroclaw, PL
- Wy-dalone, Potencja Gallery, Cracow, PL