Digestion contains many anthropomorphic codes. We refer to ‘stones in the belly’ or say that ‘a stone got caught in my throat’ when we are thinking of something unbearable or frightening. In the painting, stones are found in the oesophagus and the intestines. Digestion is impossible, deposits in the intestines have accumulated over many years. The liver is like lava, the lungs are a pond, and the heart is filled with the memory of lovers. The organism may be dysfunctional, but something constantly enters the heroine’s mouth and breaks through the stones in the oesophagus. It’s an afterimage of the city with a glow of lights above it.
The leitmotif of Paulina Stasik’s paintings is invariably bodies—levitating, captured in timeless lethargy—but also the coating of the body itself: the skin, which here functions as a kind of living shroud. The unique, dreamlike atmosphere of these canvases arises from mythological and fairy-tale inspirations.
On 22 April, we cordially invite you to the opening of a show of new works by Paulina Stasik at Raster Gallery. In her latest paintings and drawings, the artist creates a cosmological map of her own imagination, calls forth images of androgynous bodies, and metaphorically examines their metabolism. The figurative scenes allude to archetypes and myths inscribed in the spiritual, biological and sexual identity of the body.
Stasik’s paintings essay a return to a lost, supra-sexual unity. The guides along this path are the caretakers from the title: female figures of shamans, seducers and syrens. The exhibition Protectresses is the first individual presentation of the artist’s works in Warsaw.
1990 born in Rzeszów
2010-2015 - studied at the Faculty of Painting of the Academy of Fine Arts in Krakow
2020 - doctorate at the Academy of Fine Arts in Krakow
Lives and works in Krakow.
Paulina Stasik is a painter. Her sophisticated and multi-layered images exude an extraordinary, erotic aura and spiritual strength. The characteristic color range and modeling are the results of a precise and time-consuming painting process, successively applying multiple glaze layers of paint. Stasik is interested in the body as a carrier of spiritual, sexual, and cultural energy, but free from the binary perspective. The artist smoothly guides her protagonists between the real and the symbolic world, between life and timelessness, ecstasy, elation, delight and lethargy, sleep and silence. These images form a kind of renewed, matriarchal mythology, the key qualities of which are body awareness, compassion, and empathetic relationships.
- Stones, Raster Gallery, Warsaw
- Protectresses, Raster Gallery in Warsaw, Poland
- The radiation of silence, Wozownia Gallery in Torun, Poland
- Desire for wholeness, Shefter Gallery in Cracow, Poland
- Crocodile Tears, Wozownia Gallery in Torun, Poland
- Your Heart in My Brain, Henryk Gallery in Cracow, Poland
- Sexmission, Foundation „Bulwary Sztuki”, in the program Cracow Gallery Weekend „Krakers” in Cracow, Poland
- The Refugees Welcome, Museum of Modern Art in Warsaw, Poland
- FELIX Art Fair, Los Angeles, USA
- I is Other, Lyles & King, New York, USA
- Mouthed Echoes, Lyles & King, New York, USA
- Les Danses Nocturnes, curated by Eastcontemporary Spread Museum Entreveaux – Rue de la Porte Royale, Spread Museum Entrevaux, France
- Paint, also known as Blood, Museum of Modern Art in Warsaw, Poland
- Jeśli jedni drugich kąsacie i pożeracie, baczcie abyście jedni drugich nie strawili, Rafał Dominik, Jerzy Nowosielski, Erna Rosenstein, Paulina Stasik, Ryszard Waśko, Henryk Gallery in Cracow, Poland
- Leszek Misiak and His Students, Nowohuckie Centrum Gallery in Cracow, Poland
- „XY” New Generation Polish-Hungarian Painting, The MODEM Center for Modern and Contemporary Arts, Debrecen, Hungary
- No problem, Potencja Gallery in Cracow, Poland
- Polish start – exhibition pop up, Art Capital ,Szentendre, Hungary
- Best diplomas 2014/2015, Cracow’s Palace of Art for the Society of Fine Arts Friends, Poland
- Canis Vertigus, Wszystko co ludzkie jest mi obce in the program Cracow Gallery Weekend „Krakers”, The Grey House in Cracow, Poland
- „.” in the program Cracow Gallery Weekend „Krakers”, The Grey House in Cracow, Poland
- Post-contest-exhibition, 1st award in International Contest of Digital Photocreation CYBERFOTO 2015, Art Gallery Foto the Regional Culture Centre in Czestochowa, Poland
- Wyróżnieni, Exhibition and Conference Centre at Wawel Royal Castle in Cracow, Poland
- Oblicza Azji, Ethnographic Museum in Warsaw, Poland