The displayed situation may bare resemblance to a moment of suspension, a pause in a dance, an artful balance over the edge due to the joint bodies, a liminal point right before culmination, i.e. the collapse of the composition.
A depiction of a woman, from whose belly radiates with pink and orange light while her womb emits smoke.
The painting belongs to a cycle of a continuous motif of miniature creatures, which are personifications of various emotional states and intentions.
The body, in this case, is a hybrid of fabric and humans flesh, endowed with new qualities.
The painting depicts a girl, who, in a triumphant pose, holds a mask – her own skin, i.e. a sheath, which uncovers, quite literally, her true colours.
The body functions here as a metaphor attesting to the human complexity and its diverse emotional states, which subsequently emerge on the surface of its flesh.
Stasik’s paintings essay a return to a lost, supra-sexual unity. The guides along this path are the caretakers from the title: female figures of shamans, seducers and syrens. The exhibition Protectresses is the first individual presentation of the artist’s works in Warsaw.
1990 born in Rzeszów
2010-2015 - studied at the Faculty of Painting of the Academy of Fine Arts in Krakow
2020 - doctorate at the Academy of Fine Arts in Krakow
Lives and works in Krakow.
Paulina Stasik is a painter. Her sophisticated and multi-layered images exude an extraordinary, erotic aura and spiritual strength. The characteristic color range and modeling are the results of a precise and time-consuming painting process, successively applying multiple glaze layers of paint. Stasik is interested in the body as a carrier of spiritual, sexual, and cultural energy, but free from the binary perspective. The artist smoothly guides her protagonists between the real and the symbolic world, between life and timelessness, ecstasy, elation, delight and lethargy, sleep and silence. These images form a kind of renewed, matriarchal mythology, the key qualities of which are body awareness, compassion, and empathetic relationships.
- Protectresses, Raster Gallery in Warsaw, Poland
- The radiation of silence, Wozownia Gallery in Torun, Poland
- Desire for wholeness, Shefter Gallery in Cracow, Poland
- Crocodile Tears, Wozownia Gallery in Torun, Poland
- Your Heart in My Brain, Henryk Gallery in Cracow, Poland
- Sexmission, Foundation „Bulwary Sztuki”, in the program Cracow Gallery Weekend „Krakers” in Cracow, Poland
- The Refugees Welcome, Museum of Modern Art in Warsaw, Poland
- FELIX Art Fair, Los Angeles, USA
- I is Other, Lyles & King, New York, USA
- Mouthed Echoes, Lyles & King, New York, USA
- Les Danses Nocturnes, curated by Eastcontemporary Spread Museum Entreveaux – Rue de la Porte Royale, Spread Museum Entrevaux, France
- Paint, also known as Blood, Museum of Modern Art in Warsaw, Poland
- Jeśli jedni drugich kąsacie i pożeracie, baczcie abyście jedni drugich nie strawili, Rafał Dominik, Jerzy Nowosielski, Erna Rosenstein, Paulina Stasik, Ryszard Waśko, Henryk Gallery in Cracow, Poland
- Leszek Misiak and His Students, Nowohuckie Centrum Gallery in Cracow, Poland
- „XY” New Generation Polish-Hungarian Painting, The MODEM Center for Modern and Contemporary Arts, Debrecen, Hungary
- No problem, Potencja Gallery in Cracow, Poland
- Polish start – exhibition pop up, Art Capital ,Szentendre, Hungary
- Best diplomas 2014/2015, Cracow’s Palace of Art for the Society of Fine Arts Friends, Poland
- Canis Vertigus, Wszystko co ludzkie jest mi obce in the program Cracow Gallery Weekend „Krakers”, The Grey House in Cracow, Poland
- „.” in the program Cracow Gallery Weekend „Krakers”, The Grey House in Cracow, Poland
- Post-contest-exhibition, 1st award in International Contest of Digital Photocreation CYBERFOTO 2015, Art Gallery Foto the Regional Culture Centre in Czestochowa, Poland
- Wyróżnieni, Exhibition and Conference Centre at Wawel Royal Castle in Cracow, Poland
- Oblicza Azji, Ethnographic Museum in Warsaw, Poland