We are pleased to announce that Dominika Olszowy has joined the group of artists represented by the Raster Gallery.
Olszowy balances on the border between sculpture, installation and scenography. Her works allude to domestic space as characterized by conflicting emotions: a sense of comfort and fear, solace and suffocation, repose and paranoia.
Two-part installation entitled The Wake resembles the visualisation of a dream with a motif of a ceremony dedicated to bidding farewell to a departed person, and relief and consolation for those who say goodbye to her loved ones.
The installation is an attempt to „domesticate” the fear of death and of places dedicated to it. It grew from the existential dread mixed with a desire for a long-awaited rest.
PTV is a spotlightcast on Warsaw’s art scene. Guests include more and less known individuals from the local art scene, as well as artists and fictional characters caught on camera working and resting.
A „satisfying video” type of footage, created during a summertime insta-residence at Raster Gallery.
Performance in the frame of Better Me exhibition in Zachęta – National Art Gallery in Warsaw.
warsaw gallery weekend 2019
This exhibition designed especially for the Raster space peers out from a dark lining of domesticity. Using hybrid objects and sculptures, disturbing images and mysterious passages, Olszowy creates her own vision of home.
warsaw gallery weekend 2018
The post-romantic figure of the drunken artist is fading into the past, leaving behind a landscape littered with hallucinations, depravity, and shattered illusions. This is the story of the intimate ties between contemporary art and vodka. Conceived as a medley of artworks and documentary content, the exhibition features Krzysztof M. Bednarski, Olaf Brzeski, Michał Budny, Rafał Bujnowski, Oskar Dawicki, Edward Dwurnik, Władysław Hasior, Jerzy Lewczyński, Honorata Martin, Dominika Olszowy, Zbigniew Rogalski, Wilhelm Sasnal, and others.
This exhibition takes place in a country whose society has a rather poor opinion of itself. The society is mean, the society is aging, and the force which is driving us toward all this is the progressive stabilization, which seems to have effectively conquered us after years of fighting on various fronts. Life in Poland has become terrifyingly ordinary. The works making up the Society Is Mean exhibition are not essentially asocial, but they do brilliantly render the distance between the individual and the society around him or her. The artists whose works we are presenting give us a wholesale revision of this consensus; the sphere of their confrontation with society is its language, its living space, and its dominant, stereotypical interpersonal relationships.
1988 born in Skwierzyna
2009 – 2012 graduated from the Faculty of Intermedia at the University of Arts in Poznan
2011 Samsung Art Master, finalist, CCA Ujazdowski Castle
2012 – 2014 graduated from the Faculty of Media Art at the Academy of Fine Arts in Warsaw
2018 Special Award of the ING Polish Art Foundation, Warsaw Gallery Weekend
2019 winner of The VIEWS, Deutsche Bank Award
Dominika Olszowy's practice is located on the crossroads of various media – including video, performance, installation and a unique mix of truth and fabrication. Olszowy creates works, which she sometimes treats as amulets that swearing and tame reality in crisis. In her works she’s often based on personal experience, however, processes them in a universal, full of subtle humor statements about the human condition and time. Founder of ephemeral Sandra Art Gallery (since 2008), co-founder of a hip hop group Cipedrapskuad and a moped gang Horsefuckers M. C. Apart from her individual practice, Olszowy often collaborates with theatre directors creating set design. In 2019 years she was awarded the "Views - Deutsche Bank" for the most interesting young Polish artist last two years. Lives and works in Warsaw.
- Household Spirit, Raster Gallery, Warsaw, PL
- Happy End, The Arsenal Gallery, Białystok, PL
- Sixty Six Fourhundred, MOS, Gorzów Wielkopolski, PL
SELECTED GROUP EXHIBITIONS
- Angust, lokal_30/ Sandra Art Gallery, Warsaw, PL
- Fruit of all trees, Łódź of Four Cultures Festival, PL
- Monumentomania, Warsaw Under Construction 11, PL
- Views 2019, Zachęta – National Gallery of Art, Warsaw, PL
- State of Focus, Wroclaw Contemporary Museum, PL
- Theatre of War, The Project Room Awards, CCA Ujazdowski Castle, Warsaw, PL
- Waiting for Another Coming, CAC Vilnius, LT
- Waiting for Another Coming, CCA Ujazdowski Castle, Warsaw, PL
- If I Were the Moon, Raster Gallery, Warsaw, PL
- Co pozostało, Miejski Ośrodek Sztuki, Gorzów Wielkopolski, PL
- PTV. Performans TV, CCA Ujazdowski Castle, Warsaw, PL
- Why Do We Not Send Artists to the Moon, FWD Gallery, Poznan, PL
- Speedway in Art, BWA Zielona Góra, PL
- Speedway in Art, BWA Tarnów, PL
- Waiting for Another Coming, CAC Vilnius, Litwa, LT
- Things to Learn from Facebook, The Arsenal Gallery, Białystok, PL
- Flow/ In the Wild I Love Vistula, Gdansk City Gallery, PL
- Speedway in Art, Miejski Ośrodek Sztuki, Gorzów Wielkopolski, PL
- Plato Café, "Amor Fati", PLATO Ostrava, CZ
- Farmhands in Factories and Boas in Brasseries, The Arsenal Gallery, Białystok, PL
- Weltschmerz, residence in The Modern Art Gallery, Opole, PL
- PTV. Performans TV, CCA Ujazdowski Castle, Warsaw, PL
- Swag & Threat, TRAFO, Szczecin, PL
- Off Season, NARRACJE Festival #9, Gdańsk, PL
- Two 4 One, BWA Zielona Góra, PL
- Art Work, City Gallery, Wroclaw, PL
- Better Self, Zachęta – National Gallery of Art, Warsaw, PL
- Hoolifemmes, Museum at Open’er 2017, The Museum of Modern Art in Warsaw, Gdynia, PL
- Art Work, Mystetskyi Arsenal, Kiyev, UA
- Hi-Blood Pressure 展, Koganei Art Spot, Tokyo, JP
- TRUE ROMANCE, Zona Sztuki Aktualnej, Szczecin, PL
- The Power of Friendship, local_30, Warsaw, PL
- FLOW / The Return of the Catfish, Księgarnia Wystawa, Cracow, PL
- Śmiechu warte, Zona Sztuki Aktualnej, Szczecin, PL
- Nothing About You Without Us, Culture Congress, Palace of Culture and Science, Warsaw, PL
- Place, Foksal Gallery, Warsaw, PL
- Small Sculptural Forms, BWA Warsaw Gallery, PL
- Test of Spirit, CCA Ujazdowski Castle, Warsaw, PL
- Returning. Leszek Knaflewski and soundscapes, CCA Ujazdowski Castle, Warsaw, PL
- Horsefuckers M.C., Sandra Art Gallery, Bank Pekao Project Room, CCA Ujazdowski Castle, Warsaw, PL
- In the Pan, performance festival, Sandra Art Gallery, Warsaw, PL
- Society is Mean, Raster Gallery, Warsaw, PL
- As You Can See: Polish Art Today (performance at opening), The Museum of Modern Art in Warsaw, PL
- Sthendal’s Syndrom, Zona Sztuki Aktualnej Gallery, Szczecin, PL
- Crimestory, CSW, Toruń, PL
- School of happiness, Viennafair, Vienna, AU
- Sandra Salon. Prestige & Style, Sandra Art Gallery, Warsaw, PL
- THE ARTIST Festival, Zachęta – National Gallery of Art, Warsaw, PL
- Mum, I just really need to focus on my art right now, The Arsenal Municipal Gallery, Poznan, PL
- 3rd birthday of the Czułość Gallery, Warsaw, PL
- Wandaliza, BWA Zielona Góra, PL
- Kohezja, Mirosław Bałka's Studio of Spatial Activities, Teatr Nowy, Warsaw, PL
- Exaltation. From Pharaoh to Lady Gaga, The National Museum In Warsaw, PL
- 4. ArtBoom Festival, Cracow, PL
- AAACUPUNTURE!, Kordegarda Gallery, Warsaw, PL
- Laureate of 8. edition Samsung Art Master, CCA Ujazdowski Castle, Warsaw, PL
- Tomorrow Never Dies, European Culture Congress in Wroclaw, BWA Gallery, PL
- 14th Media Art Biennale, WRO Alternative Now, Wroclaw, PL
- N.A.T.U.R.E. Broken screens, Kabelvag, NO
- Video on demand, FaVu Vut Gallery, Brno, CZ
SCENOGRAPHY AND COSTUMES
- Anger (set design and costumes), Teatr Powszechny, Warsaw, PL
- Fear (costumes and video), TR Warszawa, Warsaw, PL
- Girls (set and costume design), Teatr Studio, Warsaw, PL
- The Burning of Joanny B. (set and costume design), Teatroteka WFDiF, Warsaw, PL
- Mars one (costumes), Teatr Nowy, Poznan, PL